My guest on this episode is my good friend and fellow fencer Max Hartung, a 2 time olympian from Germany in sabre fencing and currently ranked 3rd in the world.
Max is also the president of the German athletes commission and played a pivotal role in challenging a controversial Olympic Rule which prohibits athletes from getting sponsorship revenue during the Olympic Games. They won the case and the ruling in Germany significantly scaled back the advertising restrictions placed on athletes by the International Olympic Committee’s controversial Rule 40 . This is a historic win for german athletes and sets a precedent for all other countries to follow.
In this episode, we chat about :
- How Max and the German athletes managed to challenge rule 40 and score a win
- The exact nature of what German athletes are now allowed to do under the more relaxed rules
- How Max thinks athletes around the world can do the same in their respective countries
- Max’s takeaway after his meeting with the IOC president Thomas Bach about revenue sharing between the IOC and athletes
- Max’s thoughts on the new organization Global Athlete which is trying to unite athletes around the world and give them a strong, unified voice
- Much more about Max’s views on athlete rights, athlete transition after sport and his perspective on abuse and corruption in sport
This is a very important episode that should be listened to by sports fans, athletes and sports leaders from around the world in order to spark a conversation with their respective governments and leaders.